Latest news and updates
BRANZ: Acoustical design of Medium Density Housing
October 2018: Urban growth and demand for housing have resulted in a move towards high-density and medium-density housing (MDH) such as townhouses, terraced units or apartments, but is the industry up to spec when it comes to acoustic privacy? Research by BRANZ on acoustical design of medium-density housing has found industry knowledge level, regulations, lack of information, integration, and understanding end-user needs as biggest issues.
A key issue for medium-density housing is the need to design and construct walls and floors/ceilings between individual dwelling units to ensure acoustic privacy.
Cawthron hunts medicinal benefits in kina shell
October 2018: Cawthron Institute’s Matt Miller was on Maori Television in September, where he talked about his research into the medicinal benefits of wild harvested kina – in particular, the shell. This research is part of a collaboration between Hikurangi Enterprises, East Coast hapū, Massey University and the Sustainable Seas National Science Challenge.
Wild seabed kina. Photo: Hirurangi Enterprises.
Welcome to the Independent Research Association of New Zealand
IRANZ is an association of independent research organisations. IRANZ represents the collective interests of members by undertaking activities aimed at creating a positive operating environment for Independent Research Organisations in New Zealand.
IRANZ member organisations make vital contributions to a broad range of scientific fields, and offer an important complement to university-based and Crown Research Institute research. Our smaller sizes and greater flexibility provide an environment that is particularly conducive to innovation and end-user engagement.
IRANZ member organisations:
- Are ‘independent’ (non-government owned);
- Carry out high-quality scientific research, development or technology transfer;
- Have strong linkages with end-users;
- Work in a diverse range of settings and subject specialities;
- Derive a significant portion of their work from Government research contracts;
- Collaborate with universities, Crown Research Institutes and research departments of industrial organisations; and
- Having varying governance and ownership arrangements.
Find out more about IRANZ and our members by checking out our News page.